Friday, June 28, 2013

Stealing, sort of

Clevelandia sage is my very favorite for cooking, but none of the nurseries around us stock it. It grows in the hills around here, so the last time we went on a hike I ripped a couple of shoots out of the ground and carried it home. I have such a deeply ingrained fear of getting reprimanded that I kept expecting a ranger to show up and ban me for life. Highly unlikely, given the number of hikers who blatantly disregard the no dogs rule on that particular trail.

sage transplants
{sage transplants}

I planted all three cuttings and one month later it's clear that one is dead, one is perfectly happy and the one in the middle is still uncertain. There are probably tricks to make you more likely to get a good outcome, but the shotgun method works too.

Really looking forward to having our own supply of this sage. I think once it takes it will be sturdy enough to survive my halfhearted gardening efforts.

6 comments:

  1. As part of a couple who has desperate tried to grow their own herbs...godspeed. We've killed so many plants. My boyfriend is actually ashamed. Like, he won't tell his mother that he's killed the two plants she grew for us from seeds. He's nearly 30, by the way, which makes it both sad and hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kill our garden once a year on average, which is depressing because we live in Southern California and literally the ONLY thing I need to do is water it. I was way better with our old garden because our patio was on the front of our house so I'd see the plants every day. This one is off the back of our house so it's easier to ignore dying plants.

      Delete
  2. Rach! Basil and mint are notorious for killing other plants (its roots smother those around it), so I would suggested moving the sage to it's own pot. I think you'll have better luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! I knew about mint, but not about basil. And sadly, that pot was really intended for the sage, I just stuck the basil in there because it was convenient. I'm worried about transplanting the sage yet again, so maybe I'll let it grow for a little bit and then move it. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. i have a deep fear of being reprimanded, too!

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!